Peering Out

I’m just a guy who is beginning the process of coming out fully to the world. These are my posts:

Friday, January 06, 2006

It's time for a little DIY.

When I got home from college, I found that my room had been turned into a dumping ground by my family. Junk everywhere. I managed to shovel a lot of it downstairs, but only enough to clear my bed, desk and drawers. With work and the internship, I haven’t had the time to clean it out properly. Now that I am out of work, I’ve had the two full necessary to do it.

Since I was on the fix up kick, I decided to do something about my lamp. After a couple of apartment/dorm/house moves, the treads in the pole have worn down. As a result the sections don’t properly join together. I had thought I solved the problem by taping it up. Well, tape doesn’t hold together forever and the tilt kept getting worse and worse until I couldn’t touch the thing without risking a fall-over.

Usually, my Dad does all the house repairs around here. He tried to enlist me to help in some of his projects, but we found that he works better alone. I decided, I do this baby myself and look what a wonderful job I did! Nothing looks more thrown together than that. Lol. It’s actually holding up really well. And here I was… considering buying a new one on credit. Tsk tsk tsk.

Oh and about DIY. A number of years ago when I was working at K-mart, we had a section called DIY. I used to be the department associate working that, automotive, and house wares. One day I was approached by this middle aged lady who was asking where she could find a particular item.

“It’s over there (pointing) in DIY,” I said.

“D-I-Y?”

“Yeah. Do It Yourself.” Wrong thing to say. At this point, I realized that instead of calling it DIY, K-mart should just call it “hardware” because I thought I was going to be bitch-slapped.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home