Peering Out

I’m just a guy who is beginning the process of coming out fully to the world. These are my posts:

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Are we losing our foothold?

There was a short snippet in the South Bend Tribune today on how there is a petition in Massachusetts to change the state constitution in order to recognize only heterosexual marriages. Truthfully, gay marriage isn’t an important issue for me. I support it but mainly for people like Moose who may want to get married in the future. I tend not to associate the issue with me mainly because that is so far down the line. I have yet to take a complete step out of the closet. Settling down with the right guy is a little beyond my horizon at this moment.

Gay marriage is a problem for me because I am torn into two different directions over what I think is right. First there is gay marriage itself which I support. I’m gay and I may want to marry some day. For me, it’s an institution that you don’t enter into lightly and is something that you strive to make work. It’s more meaningful than just declaring a “partnership.” Second, there is my need for gay marriage to be accepted by society in a legitimate way. That’s either through a vote in the various legislatures or with the people themselves. Having gay marriage come from the mouth of a few judges is not enough for me because one judge can say this, and another can say that. It’s just not concrete. So on one hand, I have this “thing” that I want yet I can’t have it unless I compromise on my belief that only a legislative body or the people can give it to me.

Michigan’s own Proposal 2 was passed nearly 2 to 1. How can you convince such a daunting number of fellow citizens that you should be allowed a simple right? My best hopes lie with liberal legislatures like Massachusetts to pass laws that favor gay marriage. Good luck finding a body that would, however. Eventually, the public will progress to the point where gays can be allowed to marry but how long will that take? Are we willing to be patient? Should we be patient?

Should Massachusetts have a vote on this manner, I’m not sure it will turn out well given recent history. There is one ray of hope and that lies with a poll saying that 55% would not approve of the amendment. I think we are the generation that will see another tipping of the scales of civil rights. What historic times we live in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home