Peering Out

I’m just a guy who is beginning the process of coming out fully to the world. These are my posts:

Thursday, October 20, 2005

One family member down...

My sister knows now.

I wish I could have ended that sentence with an exclamation mark but it somehow wouldn’t have been right. The whole thing was anticlimactic. I went to her university. We strolled over towards the library grounds where we sat down somewhere quiet. I had a copy of the journal with me and handed it over to her in a white envelope with the number 26 written on it. But before I had her open it, I had to hell her that I was gay to her face. I didn’t want her to read it from a piece of paper. Nothing registered on her face.

“You are?” was all I got. But a few seconds latter she said, “When did…” I cut her off. I knew what she was going to ask.

“It’s all in that," I said, pointing to the journal.

She opened it and proceeded to read all 13 pages. I told her to take her time and she did. It had to be one of the longest waits I ever had to endure. Many times I was tempted to rush her or ask a question or explain something to her but I let her finish. As she read, I looked to see her facial expressions. Nothing. What was she thinking?!

When she was done she looked at me and raised her eyebrows. I tried to break the tension that I was feeling by saying, “Well, let’s go eat.” (Hey, it was past seven and I was hungry… or I was so nervous my stomach was churning.) As we walked back to the car, I asked her if she had any questions.

“No.” she said.

“No?”

“No. You pretty much answered everything in [the journal.]”

I was floored. I expected more than what I got. Questions. A sigh of disapproval. A hug. A slap. An, “I love you.” SOMETHING. Instead we continued on our way to Applebee’s. Along the way, I tried to steer the conversation back but every time we went back to something else. Towards the end of the evening, I was getting so irritated that I pushed my own boundaries by admitting to watching Desperate Housewives because I like Doug Savant and Jamie Denton. I hoped to provoke a response out of her. Nada.

To her credit, she did give me a hug when I left. I’ll remember her words that she had said earlier. “I accept it.”

“Accept” is so neutral which is what the whole night felt like. Still, I suppose it’s better than knowing that she disapproves.

I talked to Season about it yesterday. She said that my sister was in shock and that she’ll have tons of questions latter. I should have an interesting Thanksgiving coming up then.

2 Comments:

At 12:43 AM, October 22, 2005, Blogger Bob said...

this is a GREAT step. Congratulations!

My sister was the first I told in my family, too. Except I told her when I was drunk at a frat party. She got this wide-eyed look in her face and said, "I won't be an aunt???" A few days later, she was totally accepting. It takes time.

good for you.

 
At 12:08 PM, October 22, 2005, Blogger David said...

My sister said almost the same thing! Well, she can still be an aunt. Assuming that her husband has siblings and assuming that those siblings have kids. Wow, that's a lot of assuming. Still, there's a possiblitity that I may have kids... but I am no where near to worrying about that right now.

Thanks for commenting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home