Peering Out

I’m just a guy who is beginning the process of coming out fully to the world. These are my posts:

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Unexpected calls

A short while ago while I was at work, I got a call from Sara. It was absolutely out of the blue. While I was happy that she called, I was wondering why she did. We haven’t really talked since August. This was an event, so I dropped what I was doing and headed outside for better reception. It was a little awkward because she knew that she had been “neglectful” towards me and I wasn’t about to say, “It’s alright.” She got right down to it. Adam asked her if I was bisexual. She was giving me a heads up that the word was out and that she wasn’t the one who let it slip.

“Well how did he find out?” I asked.

“I don’t know. He heard it from someone. It wasn’t me.”

“Did you confirm it?”

“No. I said, 'he isn’t bisexual.'”

“Sly.”

According to her, he went on to say that I just lacked confidence that he should tell me about women. Okay, I can buy the lack confidence part but he would be the last person to tell me how to pick up women or treat them right.

On one side, I don’t mind that it is getting out. I’m at the point where if anyone asks, I will tell them the truth so it was bound to happen sooner or later. It's not that I'm mad that people are finding out, it's just that I would rather they hear it from me. Still this may have an impact on my relationship with people like Dusty or Chris who may not take kindly to that revelation. And then there's that possiblity that someone's parents are going to find out and then they are going to tell mine. Well, I'll burn that bridge when I come to it...

I told her that I would call her in a few hours. I’m still trying to wrap my head around this new situation. I’m not going to try and contain a rumor that’s true. Still, I would like to know just how the word got out and how fast it’s spreading.

It's an odd feeling... being happy and terrified all at the same time.

* * *

About an hour after her call I got a call from a 919 number. I thought it might be someone's new cell number. I answered it and it turns out it was a collect call from some guy at the Wake County Jail. I hung up. I don't know where Wake County is and I'm not about to bail out someone I didn't know. Using the reverse phone directory, I found out that the call originated from Raleigh, North Carolina. How odd. And how could I accept a collect call on a pre-paid cell phone?

3 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, January 17, 2006, Blogger Luke said...

That's funny about the collect call. I usually just get crappy business calls on my cell phone, which used to be annoying when it was prepaid. Now, meh, I don't use nearly close to my minutes allowance.

Happy & terrified at the same time. It's a feel we both love and hate. But this may be your opportunity to take the dive.

 
At 3:42 PM, January 18, 2006, Blogger David said...

For a split second, I considered taking the call. Kinda see what was up with the guy--why he was in jail. But I figured he probably wanted to talk to someone who could get him out of there.

I never talked to anyone in jail before... it could have interesting!

 
At 8:32 PM, January 18, 2006, Blogger Luke said...

It's probably better than you didn't take his "one free phone call" then, eh? Hopefully he didn't get your voicemail!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home