Peering Out

I’m just a guy who is beginning the process of coming out fully to the world. These are my posts:

Saturday, January 14, 2006

There. Now I've seen it.

I was wrong. Brokeback Mountain found its way to the Michiana area. Showplace 16, the cineplex on the south side of South Bend is showing it on one screen. Season and I went to its premier last night. It wasn't completely packed, but I haven't been in that big of a theater crowd since Mountain Home AFB showed The NeverEnding Story 2 at the base theater. I was pleasantly surprised to see quite a few heterosexual couples there. I must admit, my expectation for this was much more pessimistic. While we were there two couples that appeared to be school aged were discussing about how a person "turns" gay. Even though I smirked at some of the theories that they were throwing out, at least they are thinking about it in an open way.

There have been enough reviews about his movie and one done by me wouldn't be helpful. But real quickly, the movie is over-hyped. I came in expecting a lot more than I got. Don't get me wrong... it was a very good movie. I liked it. I just had higher expectations. Although, I didn't get emotional as some other bloggers out there, I did feel for the characters. If I had experienced love on that level, I probably would have busted up in the theater. That shirt scene, however,... I've been there. My "shirt" is lying on top of my dresser where I touch it almost every day.

It's amazing--the violence we do to ourselves and each other.

2 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, January 15, 2006, Blogger Luke said...

I plan to see the movie eventually. I realize it's been overhyped, so I'm not expecting life-altering movie-telling, but I bet its worth the couple bucks.

 
At 10:48 AM, January 15, 2006, Blogger David said...

Hi Luke.

The movie is definately worth the money and time. I probably came off a little to negative about it in the post but its just because I want to be careful not to say "This is the best movie ever-- go see it." It definately had an emotional impact on me and that's saying a lot since most movies don't do that to me. The last time was when E.T. was dying!

I hope you enjoy it and thanks for commenting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home