Peering Out

I’m just a guy who is beginning the process of coming out fully to the world. These are my posts:

Friday, April 21, 2006

Moving on?

In the previous post, I said that I wouldn’t go into detail about the latest drama fest that is taking place. I intend to keep to that. However, there is an incident I do want to share. Unlike the situation that caused Season’s “eviction,” this happened with me involved.

A spat occurred which involved Season’s landlords. One of them, Rachel, kicked Season out. Yesterday, I helped her move her property out of the place she was living at. We started around six when Season picked me up in a truck that I assume she borrowed from her father. Rachel wasn’t home at the time, which was great because we didn’t have to deal with any tension. So was started on the boxed stuff which we loaded on the truck through the bedroom window. As we were finishing up the last boxes, Rachel and two of her kids arrived. Rachel’s daughter, Abby said that if Season took a certain cat, that she was going to kill her. Imagine that! Some little girl threatening to kill you. If I had said that, my parents would have whooped my butt so hard. We shrugged it off though and left with our first load.

Before going back to Rachel’s we picked up Season’s SUV with the thought that the truck and SUV together would allow us to make less trips. When we got back, we noticed that Carl, Rachel’s nosy father-in-law was sitting there watching us like some sort guard. But we continue like we did before—loading through the window (because it’s easier.) While I was outside loading and Season was inside, Rachel suddenly comes out and says, “That window can be closed. That’s bullshit.” Utterly bizarre. But we figured it was so she and Carl could watch us. Perhaps they thought we were going to steal something. To be blunt, they don’t have much worthier stealing. It’s not as if Season was the type of person to do it anyways. I had no reason to. Anyways, we managed to get everything but a headboard and dresser.

When we came back for the last trip, up comes Carl again to watch us. He evidently had left—only to arrive again when we came back. When we got in to get the last of the stuff, he blocked us. He told us that we couldn’t get the remainder until Season had settled with Rachel. He wanted the keys (Season had already taken them off the key ring for Rachel), payment of some cell bill, and the money from one of Rachel’s daughter’s accounts. Now this is where I get pissed.

First of all, Carl is not the landlord. He has no business with us. If Rachel had a back bone, she should be the one talking. Second, even if he was the landlord, he can not withhold Season’s property from her. And lastly, his demands were unacceptable.

The issue with the keys was already moot. I personally saw Season’s intentions to surrender them.

The cell phone debt was laughable. When he asked for that, he couldn’t come up with the debt amount. Even when Rachel was asked, she shrugged and said that she didn’t know because it was so long ago. No numbers. No bills. No receipts. No memory.
The issue with the bank account was interesting. The account is in the child and Season’s name. Rachel wants the money in it but Season wanted to make sure that the kid will keep that money. I believe that if Rachel was given the money, she would spend it. Season said that she would not cheat that kid of her money.

With the keys handed over, the cell debt unable to be resolved, and Season’s word that she would not steal the kid’s money, we were allowed to collect the remaining items. But it was under some veiled threat that “shit is going to hit the fan” if the money issues weren’t resolved.

The actions of Rachel and Carl were completely out of order. As a bystander to the issues surrounding the move, I was watched like a criminal. But the injury to Season was far worse. I felt like those two were getting some sick satisfaction through humiliation and then by unjust confrontation.

By my own expectations of hospitality, what was done to us was practically unforgivable and it burns me up even though I have almost nothing to do with it other than to help a good friend get out of a bad living arrangement. She doesn’t deserve to be treated like that and I am confident that she will move on with the positive steps that continually impress and inspire me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home