Peering Out

I’m just a guy who is beginning the process of coming out fully to the world. These are my posts:

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Now for the movie...

Alright, now that I’ve got some spare minutes here’s my review of “Just Friends.” The movie is about a guy named Chris (Ryan Reynolds) who, in high school, was in love with his best friend, Jamie (Amy Smart). His attempt to get out of the “friend zone” ended with him going away humiliated that everyone in his class found out about his attraction for Jamie and that she didn’t feel the same way about him. For the next ten years, he goes from being an over-weight dork to a sexy womanizer.

Chris is called on to take a pop singer (who reminds me of a cross between Paris Hilton and Britney Spears) to France for a concert, publicity stunt, or something. Due to a stupid mishap caused by the pop singer (named Samantha and played by Anna Faris) they are forced to land in Jersey—the place Chris was from. Instead of staying the night at a hotel, the two make their way to Chris’s house.

A reunion takes place at the local bar with Chris meeting his old friends as well as Jamie who tends the bar and works as a sub at the elementary school. Chris sees this as a chance to finally get with Jamie using all the tricks up his sleeves. His tested methods don’t work on Jamie and throughout the movie he goes through all the motions to get together with her.

I did not have high expectations of this film. It was just one of the movies you just go see and get a laugh from. The plot wasn’t really original but movies can still deliver on the comedy. While this one did have its moments, it generally was a stinker. I actually found the character of Sam (Anna Faris) to be the best portrayed. Anna Faris was perfect for this role… probably because she has done this so many times before.

The positives:
The movie still provided some good laughs.
The brotherly abuse was totally believable. Well, except for the “You know, I love you.”
The character of Samantha.
The idea of liking your best friend a little too much, was little too close for home.

The negatives:
The editing seemed sloppy.
Fat Chris was only in the first ten minutes of the movie.
The characters seemed shallow. There wasn’t much insight into the feelings or motivations of them.

I recommend waiting till this comes out on TBS. It’s good, but not good enough to warrant spending money on it.

4 Comments:

At 7:58 AM, November 30, 2005, Blogger PJS said...

You know, I actually think Ryan Reynolds is talented. He just keeps choosing these really sucky roles...

 
At 3:01 AM, December 01, 2005, Blogger David said...

pjs, (do you prefer to be addressed that way, btw?) I wouldn't know about his talent as an actor. That said, I do enjoy his comedy work. His dramatic roles... not so much. I still think of him as Berg and any charachter that's not like Berg, I just can't accept. And at least he's doing better than Richard Ruccolo.

 
At 9:08 AM, December 01, 2005, Blogger PJS said...

Yeah, it's fine to call me PJS in the blogosphere. It sort of irks me when people use my first name (although it's no secret) in the blogosphere -- it makes me "google-able".

 
At 1:42 PM, December 01, 2005, Blogger David said...

Fair enough. To be honest though, I think your name is kind of facinating. Practically unique.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home