Peering Out

I’m just a guy who is beginning the process of coming out fully to the world. These are my posts:

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Palm Sunday and the First Day of Spring

Church was a little unusual today but not because of the fact that it was Palm Sunday. The first thing was this year’s confirmation class. There was only one person this year. The second was that the nursery wasn’t open so Aunt Julie attempted to go through the service with Alyssa and James sitting with us.

I was a little uncomfortable with the confirmation process, particularly considering that I have decided to quit participating in communion. Going through the ceremony, the kid had to profess that what he was taught was true. I winced when the pledge was made to be a part of the Lutheran Church. It reminded me that I had broken mine. I feel like I’ve just stepped out of the mafia. That guy was me just eight years ago. I wondered if in a few years, if not now, he will begin to reject what he has been told.

Poor Aunt Julie. Although Alyssa was able to keep still, her brother James could not. The little rascal was a little to hyper for his own good and started to cry. Aunt Julie was able to keep him quiet but as soon as the sermon was set to begin, she had had enough. So she had to leave.

After my afternoon nap, I went online. No one was in the living room, so I could respond to an email that Sara had written me. She has asked me to keep the details of her letter in confidence, so I will not go into them. But I can say this, it was about her usual problems with Adam plus a little more. As much as she has prayed for me, I pray for her to do the right thing. I will repeat what I have always felt, there are very few people that I know from my high school class that I think deserve the best of life. She is one of them. I fear sometimes that she will end up falling into a rut like so many others here. While I did not tell her to do what I think she should do, I did tell her to think. Hopefully, she will be able to find a path that will lead her towards that what we all want.

I do want to share something that was in her message:

“I’ve prayed a couple times for you to figure yourself out and to be comfortable with whatever decisions you make. No matter what David, I will always be accepting of you and I will always care about you. You’re my friend Man and I am glad.”

Words that I am so grateful to hear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home