Peering Out

I’m just a guy who is beginning the process of coming out fully to the world. These are my posts:

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Tempting Fate by Mail

The other day I registered for the Law School Data Assembly Service (LSDAS) and the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT). Going through the various steps for registration, the website asked me certain questions. These questions, if I chose to answer them, would be released to third parties. The questions were about race and sexual orientation. So I released my personal information in the hopes some law school might want to “recruit” me.

I have no problem with releasing my race. I did hesitate when it came to the question of whether I am a gay student. I was worried that if I marked that, then I would start receiving promotional materials in the mail. What a nice surprise my parents would have when the go to the mail box and pull out a letter for me from the Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Students Society of So and So. Yeah, that would go down well.

I clicked the box. I figured that if I didn’t, I could be closing the door to an opportunity that may never occur again. I wasn’t going to let my fear of my parents’ rejection guide this decision. I’m not second guessing that decision. It’s kinda surprising actually. But should those pieces of mail come, I guess I will deal with it then .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home