Peering Out

I’m just a guy who is beginning the process of coming out fully to the world. These are my posts:

Monday, May 08, 2006

I've got to quit watching that show

“Well maybe he’ll change now.”

“You can’t change your sexuality, Mom.”

I really hate that I am bringing up Desperate Housewives to make another post but. My mom and I watch that show every Sunday night and what you just read was a short commentary on the scene where Bree abandons Andrew at a gas station.

Bree had said that every child deserves to be unconditionally loved. I never doubted that she loved Andrew. Her fear of her son’s sexuality was based on her religious belief that he would not get into heaven. I am unfortunately familiar with that point of view and while I know that I may be loved by my parents, I often think that it is conditional. Can they bear to have a son that is incongruent with their view of the world? Would they be willing to make a substantial shift to accommodate me? While I hope that the answer to those questions is “yes,” I can’t help but feel that the real answer is a resounding “no.” In fact my biggest fear is the cut off. Where would I be without my family? Where is Andrew without his mother?

While my response was based on my mother saying that Andrew might change his sexuality, maybe what my mother was really saying is that Andrew might now change into a respectable son.

4 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, May 10, 2006, Blogger David said...

It is but as I have said in the post, I'm not sure of my parents possessing unconditional love. And I am definately not ready for the "You're going to hell speech." It's tough enough with the hard stares and comments when i told them I no longer wanted to take communion.

Hopefully it will be some day soon.

 
At 10:03 AM, May 10, 2006, Blogger David said...

If you don't mind me asking, what tipped your mother off?

 
At 12:59 AM, May 11, 2006, Blogger Tim said...

Hey --

For what it's worth, I'm from southeastern Michigan, from a Catholic family. And I waited way too long to come out. (Till I was nearly 30. Hi. That's my boyfriend up there.) As Dan Savage has said, the only thing gay guys regret about coming out is that they didn't do it sooner. And that's just about right -- I let it go too long, kept putting it off 'cause the idea of it scared me, and then, when I finally did, had no idea what I was so afraid of. People were fine. I didn't lose a single friend. My folks didn't disown me. There was a tense year there where we had to get to know each other again. But we're closer now than we were before.

I'm not making any promises about this being the case for your family or your friends. And before coming out, I had to reconcile myself to the fact that I could lose just about anyone in my life over this. Which isn't fair, and it sucks -- most folks don't have to have a moment in their lives where they stand the chance of blowing up life as they knew it.

But here's something to consider: There's a potential cost to coming out. But there's also a very real, daily cost to staying in the closet. Namely, that you're wasting your 20s waiting to get on with your life. I waited till I was absolutely sure I was ready, and the hardest thing for me about coming out wasn't, to my surprise, the coming out to my family or friends. It was dealing with a year of crushing regret about the fact that I'd let so much time slip by, wasted, while I waited till I was absolutely sure I was ready. Coming out sucks. But so, in its own way, does putting it off.

(BTW: If you haven't, I'd recommend reading Dan Savage's "The Kid" -- it's not about coming out per se, but it's a pretty good, vivid account of what it's like to be out, to be gay, and to be in a relationship.)

 
At 8:13 AM, May 11, 2006, Blogger David said...

^Thanks for taking the time to write Tim (you too, Mr. Peanut). You are right, I am already hurting by staying in this closet when it comes to my family. And it does hold me back to the extent that I don't want to look for a relationship.

Coming out to my sister was almost a spur of the moment decision. I just got into my car, drove to her place, and told her. Although it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (she took it very calmly), I can tell that she is exteremly uncomfortable with it.

Excuses, excuses, I know!

I've got some books that I'm looking for from another blogger, Brian, but I'll add your reccomendation to reading list.

Again, thanks for commenting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home