Peering Out

I’m just a guy who is beginning the process of coming out fully to the world. These are my posts:

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Blogger sucks at picture posting



The beach that Season and I visited is located near the Cook Nuclear Plant. Before Sept. 11, the plant was open to the public and even had some magnificent dune trails. In order to visit the facility now, you have to tag along with a school tour. The plant is important to our local economy. After the attacks, the some locals reacted very strongly to rumors that Cook was going to be closed down. Luckily, it was no more than a rumor.


While walking through the sand, I noticed an odd sound. I wish that I could post a video of it, but I don't know how to do it. And even if I did, my 56k connection would test my patience. If you can imagine a combination of denim rubbing together and seal calls, that's what it sounds like. Season said that it was singing sand and that this area is one of the few places in the world that has it. "The More You Know." I'm not sure about that, but I've never noticed it when I when I swam at Lions Beach which was located a few miles north.

This was Al Capone's* house. Sorry for the bad quality but it was taken in twilight and through a windshield. I knew that Capone had been a visitor to our area of Michigan, but I didn't know he actually owned property. Season told me that there are underground tunnels linking this house to the guest house where his bodyguards stayed.





*At the time of this posting the Wikipedia article for Al Capone has been messed with. The information there was not reliable and still may not be.

1 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, April 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Singing Sands"

Experience our "singing sands", a unique phenomenon only to the Lake Michigan beaches.

Taken from: www.harborcountry.org/beaches


Beaches

Sand dune on Lake Michigan at Indiana Dunes National LakeshoreLake Michigan beaches, especially those beaches in Michigan and Northern Indiana, are known for their beauty. The sand is soft and off-white, known as "singing sands" due to the squeaking noise made when one walks across it (caused by the high quartz content). There are often high sand dunes covered in green beach grass and sand cherries, and the water is usually clear and cold (between 55 and 70 °F/13 and 21 °C) [1], even in late summer. Lake Michigan beaches in Northern Michigan are the only place in the world where one can find Petoskey stones, the state stone, aside from a few inland lakes in that region.

Taken From:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Michigan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home