Peering Out

I’m just a guy who is beginning the process of coming out fully to the world. These are my posts:

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Gay Games in Chicago

For the past couple of days, I have been seeing news and talk reports concerning the Gay Games that will be held in Chicago. It centers mainly on Crystal Lake where game organizers want to hold the rowing competition. Many of the locals are up in arms about it. They don’t want the Gay Games there. Their reasoning is that they don’t want to be exposed to people who promote an immoral lifestyle. Our kids must not see two women holding hands or two men kissing. Game organizers say that they need the lake because the city of Chicago can’t host that event. The city doesn’t have a lake. (Alright—let’s forget about the huge honking one they sit along side of.)

I was listening to Eileen Byrne on WLS and for a while she was talking about this issue. She made some interesting comments. She is against the Gay Games. Now I wouldn’t call her a homophobe because she comes at it from the perspective of where I think society should be. She doesn’t see sexuality as being something you should be discriminated or congratulated for. It is what it is, and so what? She asks, “Why do we have to have the Gay Games? Do we have straight games?” Why should there be separate games? Is a gay pole vaulter (couldn’t resist, sorry) somehow different than a straight one? We already know that there are gay athletes that participate in the Olympics. So why, other than to promote the “homosexual agenda,” are the gay games held? I appreciate her view. I really do. It’s all fine and good, but we don’t live in a society that has that view. I wish that sexual orientation wasn’t an issue but it is. Am I willing to admit that the gay games do promote an “agenda?” Sure, I have the balls to say that at least. I wouldn’t say that we are out to convert the heteros, or their children. I wouldn’t say that we are there to rub sexuality in their faces just because we can. I would say that we are there to send a message. We are here. We can do these things. We do have issues that concern us. I don’t see anything offensive about the promotion of homosexual rights or the display of the abilities of gay people. Besides, I find the concept of the Gay Games to be more family friendly than a pride parade.

So then we are back at the opponents’ argument that the Gay Games go against their “family values” and that they don’t want to be exposed to that. They don’t want to be unwilling recipients of a pro-homosexual message. Well, tough. I’m constantly being exposed to the anti-homosexual message. I can’t help but feel good about having the tables being turned. If they don’t like it, they can stay in their houses. Don’t go to Crystal Lake. Better yet, why not just plan for a vacation that week and get out of town (Like Jim). Go to Wyoming, because we all know that gay people don’t live there. Unfortunately, a vote can be taken to deny the game organizers the use of the lake. What can we do? *shrugs*

I wanted to throw in some observations by Roe Conn. (Hey, I was in bed the entire day… so yes, I’ve been listening to talk radio for hours on end.)

[talking to a lesbian footballer] Shouldn’t the gay guy be the receiver?

You’re not a “tight end” are ya?

Do they call flag football, flag football?

Oh it’s horrible, I know. I like Roe though. He probably has the best point of all: This is nothing but good news for the shop owners out there.

If the circumstances are right, I think that maybe I will take a day trip to Chicago and check it out. The games will be held July 15-22. Now, I got to find someone to see it with.

2 Comments:

At 11:47 PM, March 11, 2006, Blogger Cal Skinner said...

I have posted your long paragraph on McHenryCountyBlog.com and linked to your blog.

May I assume you will be in Crystal Lake for the regatta?

 
At 3:33 PM, March 12, 2006, Blogger David said...

Wow. Thanks. I've never had anyone quote me before.

If I go to the games, I'll probably be arriving by train. More likely, I'll be sticking to events closest to the city center.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home