Peering Out

I’m just a guy who is beginning the process of coming out fully to the world. These are my posts:

Sunday, March 09, 2008

More Soap

While I was finishing up the Luke and Noah (or the last of what was available on YouTube), I spotted another gay story line on the British show Coronation Street with the characters of Todd and Karl. I’m not gonna get into that but I was thinking about the viewers’ comments on both Luke/Noah and Todd/Karl.

Seeing a gay couple on television is a cool thing for me. Let’s put aside some of their questionable judgments that is required of television drama for a second, however. But there are a lot of commentators who hate what is going on with their respective shows. This was more evident with commentators for As the World Turns. The haters there make my homophobic conservative Aunt look like bleeding heart liberal. I had trouble wrapping my head around some of what was being said and I couldn’t understand why I was reading it.

If a person is against homosexuality, why would they watch in on YouTube, take the time to comment on it, and then come back to try and defend their positions? I’m seeing various posters coming back page after page and it’s striking that they would care that much. Even my church doesn’t go out of its way to express its view—which is against, by the way. In fact, I have never even heard homosexuality brought up in any service.

Obviously letters written to CBS show that a number of viewers of As the World Turns don’t like the homo story line. And I suppose that’s to be expected but YouTube and other sites? That’s a whole different ball of wax--you’ve got to be looking for that stuff. These people have either got be angry closet cases or your run of the mill troll. I want to believe that the people who really disapprove of these gay stories just tune out and let others have their moment in the light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home