Peering Out

I’m just a guy who is beginning the process of coming out fully to the world. These are my posts:

Thursday, January 24, 2008

New Year, New Member

I did make it to that Gay and Lesbian book club last night. I started to float around there about twenty minutes ahead hoping to spot the group first rather than go up to people and ask if they were the gays and lesbians I wanted to meet.

It wasn't what I expected. I had envisioned two possibilities: smart college kids or smart old people. Over the past few weeks, I had put so much attention onto that book just in case the conversation was going to be highly intellectual. It turned out to be more relaxed than I feared.

There were three regulars. If I remember right, they were Dave, Tom, and Earl. Then there appeared to be two known-to-the-group participants and bringing up the rear were three new comers including me. The three regulars were older gentlemen and the rest of us were rather young.

The discussion I thought was quite short but apparently it was a good one according to Tom. This is because more then a couple people actually read the book. I think that Tom and I took over the discussion and to be honest, I think I stepped on his toes because I would always take a an observation of his and give my own twist. I don't know if he liked that or not but it was kinda fun to have something to add.

The book that we will be discussing looks like "fluff" as they call it. I'm not particularly looking forward to reading it but I'll suffer through it. Earl let me borrow two books so I'll be giving those a crack as well. They took my suggestion of "The Year of Ice" so we'll be reading that for either March or April. Also assigned: gay gossip. *sigh* Still looking forward to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home